I walk into the store, grab a cart, and hoist my two-year-old up into the seat. I explain to my four-year-old that she’s going to have to walk because they don’t have the special two-seater carts that she loves so much at this store.
As we head towards the first item on my list, an invisible countdown clock immediately appears over my head. The numbers begin ticking by, counting down the minutes until I absolutely must vacate the store or risk a total meltdown and complete loss of all control.
We get in, get what we need, and get out.
When I’m just purchasing groceries, this strategy works. However, when I’m trying to do some holiday shopping and thoughtfully purchase gifts for our dear friends and families, it all falls apart.
There’s no time to meander in the aisles. No time to contemplate whether my sister would like this scarf or that one better. So this year, I’m staying home. I’m keeping my yoga pants on and shopping from the comfy of my couch.
Besides, there’s nowhere better to go for thoughtful, personalized gifts than Etsy anyway. And if I’m gonna shop small, I’m gonna support my fellow military spouses.
I know just how hard it can be to maintain a career as a military spouse. In fact, that’s part of why I started this blog. Frequent moves and short stays can make it hard for many military spouses to maintain their careers. Often the solution is to start their own business. We can support our military families by supporting these businesses!
Whether it’s Small Business Saturday, Cyber Monday, or any other day of the year- let’s not just say we support our military, let’s actually do it. Here are 10 Must-Shop Military Spouse Owned Etsy Businesses:
1. First up, is Cover Love, with beautiful, farmhouse-style, custom pillow covers. Use promo code SERVANTMAMA10 for a 10% discount!
2. WrightAway Designs makes wonderful wooden signs, one of which hangs over the fireplace in our living room!
3. Willow Grace has adorable hair bows for the girls and sweet bow ties for the boys. I am especially a fan of the ones made of felt! Enter “Willow15” at checkout to receive 15% off your purchase.
4. The Oak and Oliver Candle Co. makes amazing handcrafted soy candles in recycled wine bottles. The unique scents and simple design make these a great gift choice! Plus, Servant Mama readers can get an extra 10% off! Just enter the promo code “Oliver” at checkout.
5. Hope Design Ltd. creates beautiful vintage and military-inspired jewelry. The pieces are officially licensed by the United States Military Academy at West Point and the United States Marine Corps. Check out her Facebook page,facebook.com/hopedesignlimited, for an exclusive Small Business Saturday discount of 25%.
6. Stinkmuffin has leggings that rival LuLaRoe and some of the cutest baby/toddler rompers I’ve seen!
7. Stitches Fiberworks makes precious crochet toys that are truly works of art! Enter the promo code SMAMA10 for 10% off your purchase (valid through Dec. 31)!
8. Whether daddy is a pilot or your little one just loves airplanes, these hand-knit airplanes from Stuffed Squadrons are perfect!
9. Anna Kate Paperie is packed full of cute printables. Just pay, print, and frame for a quick and easy gift!
10. And last, but not certainly not least, I love these gorgeous scarves and bags from Daisy Faye Designs!
Our military spouse community is so talented and I am continuously amazed by their ability to adapt and overcome! Let’s show our military families that we truly do support them, not just in word, but in action. Happy shopping!!!
PS- Thank you Etsy for giving military spouses such a great platform to share and grow their businesses!